[cabfpub] Continuing the discussion on CAA

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Tue Oct 25 16:26:59 MST 2016

Why not change how CAA so it works? Make it a base-domain check rather than a
hierarchy. Or have the base domain list all of the approved CAs? I realize
this will require a bis, but perhaps if the CAA record contained a "master
list" with a limit on who can approve at the base domain then that would work.
I was thinking of a system where you could specify the labelset property tag
applicable to the permission:

CAA 0 lbl=0 iodef "http://iodef.example.com/"

Where lbl is optional and defines the scope of the permission. This does put
the burden on the base domain holder to specify the acceptable root CAs, but
that burden is essentially already there with the permitted validation
processes.

Jeremy