[cabfpub] Clarification of the "CA" term in the BRs

Peter Bowen pzb at amzn.com
Mon Oct 24 10:30:24 MST 2016

Dimitris,

Thank you for working on this.  The lack of clarity with regards to “Root CA” and “Subordinate CA” is one that needs resolving to ensure all have a common understanding of what it expected of them.

I also appreciate the objective to change as little as possible to get this clarity.  As Ryan Sleevi pointed out yesterday, this is a complex issue as a single organization can have multiple CPSes and a single key pair can be used for multiple DNs and there can be multiple CA certificate with the same subject.

I think we may need to reconsider whether the majority of cases can be considered to be the Key Pair + Distinguished Name case and make the organization case the outlier.

Thanks,
Peter