[cabfpub] SHA-1 exception request

Dean Coclin Dean_Coclin at symantec.com
Thu Oct 13 13:58:11 MST 2016

Gerv,

Thank you for the prompt response to First Data's application. While we
appreciate the approval and await responses from other browsers, I'd like to
point out that this deadline doesn't really help First Data and the merchants
much.

As discussed during the TSYS exception in July, the timing for merchant
holiday payment processing and returns extends into January. This is why the
TSYS application was granted a February 10, 2017 expiration date. Andrew Ayer
had commented on TSYS' application at the time:

[TSYS via Dean] "One thing you will notice is the validity date extends to Feb
10,
2017. In the payment industry, 31 December is an absolutely horrible
time to make a change as it represents one of the peak times for traffic."

[Andrew] Although the "Post Jan 2016 SHA-1 Issuance Request Procedure" version
1.1 mandates an expiration of December 31, 2016 or earlier, I think a
later expiration is fine.  The risk to the public from SHA-1 manifests
during issuance and a later expiration date does not affect this risk.
In fact, it would be better for TSYS to have some extra time than it
would be to invoke this procedure again.

First Data requested an expiration in March and while I understand Mozilla's
reluctance to approve a date that late, I was hoping they would at least
receive equal treatment as TSYS with a February 9th expiration. I've asked
First Data to provide a list of the reasons why a December cutoff for the
payment industry is "absolutely horrible" and should have that shortly.

Also, First Data is much larger than TSYS and the affected community is 5
times the size.

Thanks again for your consideration,

Dean