[cabfpub] Peter's ballot process proposal

Kirk Hall Kirk.Hall at entrustdatacard.com
Fri Nov 18 17:33:41 UTC 2016

I don't recall anyone saying the process we are following for Ballots 180-182 is improper or violates our IPR Policy and/or Bylaws -- only that there are other possible interpretations and processes that some would prefer to follow for ballots in the future.  And I know there are a number of members who strongly believe the process we are following for Ballots 180-182 is the only process allowed under our IPR Process and Bylaws.

If we pause or restart Ballots 180-182, we push out the date when we have what can be said to be (with some confidence) properly-adopted Final Guidelines.  Until we have properly-adopted Final Guidelines, it will be hard if not impossible to proceed with new ballots for Maintenance Guidelines that amend the Final Guidelines.

I suppose if a member feels strongly that Ballots 180-182 violate our IPR Policy and Bylaws, the best course is to vote no in January.  I don't think anyone is trying to prevent further discussion of this issue, but I'm not sure we will benefit much from repeating the same points over and over.  I would also ask that any member who thinks Ballots 180-182 violate our IPR Policy and/or Bylaws to double check with their IP attorneys to make certain they agree with that conclusion.