[cabfpub] Mozilla SHA-1 further restrictions

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Thu Nov 17 13:05:26 UTC 2016

See [DB] comments below.

-----Original Message-----
From: Public [mailto:public-bounces at cabforum.org] On Behalf Of Gervase Markham via Public
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2016 6:48 AM
To: CABFPub <public at cabforum.org>
Cc: Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org>
Subject: [cabfpub] Mozilla SHA-1 further restrictions

<snip>

CAs may only sign SHA-1 hashes over end-entity certs which chain up to roots in Mozilla's program if all the following are true:
[DB] This section is a bit unclear in scope. Maybe we need 2 sections, one for rules for generating CA certificates and one for End Entity certificates because you go back and forth in scope.

* The certificate is not within the scope of the Baseline Requirements;
[DB] - the EE or the CA?

* The issuing CA and the certificate itself both have a critical EKU extension with a single key purpose, which is not id-kp-serverAuth or anyExtendedKeyUsage;
[DB] I think we should allow multiple EKUs so we can support SMIME & Client auth (for example) in one CA.

* The issuing CA has a pathlen:0 constraint;

* The certificate has at least 64 bits of entropy from a CSPRNG in the serial number.
[DB] CA and End Entity?

CAs may only sign SHA-1 hashes over non-certificate data (e.g. OCSP responses, CRLs) using certs which chain up to roots in Mozilla's program if all of the following are true:
[DB] What do you mean by "CA"?  Do you mean a CA certificate, one that has Basic constraints set to CA?

* Doing so is necessary for a documented compatibility reason;

* All of the signed data is static, or defined by the CA and not another party.
[DB] The rules should be different if it's the CA certificate or a technically constrained non-CA cert.  For example, OCSP signing certs with EKU constrained to that should be allowed to sign OCSP messages with nonces, but a CA should not.

</quote>

We intend to impose this requirement with a compliance deadline of 6 months, as it may require cutting new intermediates, and compatibility testing with EKUs in intermediates.
[DB] Is this going to be a retroactive requirement such that existing CAs need to be re-created?

This is a last call for objections that have not so far been raised.