[cabfpub] question about patent-free guidelines

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Nov 4 12:03:51 UTC 2016

On 03/11/16 18:20, Dimitris Zacharopoulos wrote:
>  1. whether it is dictated in the bylaws or the IPR policy that the CA/B
>     Forum must produce patent-free guidelines (otherwise it is probably
>     allowed to include some patented solutions, among others with
>     royalty-free license)

I've not heard anyone arguing that this is a MUST.

>  2. hear if members feel that all guidelines should cover methods and
>     practices that are patent-free or not.

I suspect opinions on this differ according to whether you are a patent
holder or not :-) I suspect that very few people would argue for the
inclusion of patented requirements, but quite a few might argue for the
inclusion of patented options as long as there are non-patented options.

When the PAG comes, we will see :-)