[cabfpub] Mozilla SHA-1 further restrictions

Wayne Thayer wthayer at godaddy.com
Fri Nov 18 15:36:48 MST 2016

Gerv,

> CAs may only sign SHA-1 hashes over non-certificate data (e.g. OCSP
> of the following are true:
>
> * the cert has a Basic Constraints extension with a value of false in
>   the cA component;

This makes sense in the context of delegated OCSP signing and aligns with the Microsoft policy. For CRLs, are you suggesting that CAs need to create delegated CRL signing certificates? I believe it is common practice to sign CRLs directly from roots and intermediates. Same goes for OCSP responses for intermediates.

> * Doing so is necessary for a documented compatibility reason;

What constitutes a 'documented compatibility reason'? Is the intent to create a very limited scope backed by hard data, or is "Windows XP (pre-SP3)" a 'documented compatibility reason'? I would like to continue to provide SHA-1 signed OCSP responses and CRLs for all certificates in GoDaddy's SHA-1 hierarchies (root - intermediate - and EE certs are all SHA-1), but if the intent is to prevent that with this bullet, then I'd like to make it clear here - perhaps by requiring approval rather than just documenting.

> * The CA takes care the all of the signed data is either static,
>   defined by the CA, or of a known and expected form.

Should we specifically ban nonces in OCSP responses?