[cabfpub] Draft CAA motion (2)

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Thu Nov 17 06:41:32 MST 2016

Hi Gerv,

I agree that trying to quantity which type of contract is acceptable is problematic.

We'd like to avoid a requirement to check every FQDN (and especially at the time of issuance)  and check only a higher level FQDN (or Domain Name) on a "regular" basis by following an approved, documented process.  This will help move failure cases earlier in the ordering/validation flow instead of right at time of issuance and also allow high volume issuance without needing to insert a CAA check into the issuance process.

Example 1: Assume we issue a lot of certificates to serialnumber.us.example.com, I'd like to check us.example.com every few of days to cover this vs. every fqdn at the time of issuance.  If that means a special CAA directive (no-check subdomain or something, what was this called?), then that's OK because we can work with the small number of customers that need this type of service. I'd like to avoid name constrained CAs, special extensions and complicated "contractual" requirements.

I'm a bit concerned that not all DNS systems will allow the creation of CAA records, so the proposed solution above might need an alternative approach in those cases to allow high volume issuance.  Rick reported on DNS capabilities a while ago, but I don’t know what the current status is.

Example 2: Retail/reseller ordering process: Check CAA for the FQDN(s) when the order data is collected and be able to use that for up to 5 days.  If it takes more than 5 days to complete the vetting process, then it needs to be checked again prior to issuance.

Example 3: Enterprise account:
I'd like to propose less restrictive checks on enterprise accounts when domain ownership or control is performed when the domain is added to the enterprise account, but I don’t think anything I would propose here would be accepted.  I'll try anyway: If domain ownership is verified by vetting agents and added manually (vs. one of the other domain validation methods), would it be possible to do CAA checks at the time that domain is added and then annually thereafter and skip CAA checks for the FQDNs?

I'd propose CAA checking at a minimum every 5 days, but in reality we'd probably check every day or two and have that data useable for 5 days to cover error cases when attempting to re-validate it.

I'd propose soft fail for the first 6 months of this requirement then move to hard fail.  That 6-month period of mandatory CAA will surface remaining CAA issues and then those can be addressed before hard fail is a requirement.  While CAA has been talked about for 5 years, it needs some time for heavier use in a permissive mode vs. jumping right to hard fail to shake out operational issues.