[cabfpub] Draft CAA motion

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Wed Nov 9 13:18:42 MST 2016

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 11:28 AM, Bruce Morton <Bruce.Morton at entrustdatacard.com<mailto:Bruce.Morton at entrustdatacard.com>> wrote:
I would prefer if we started CAA with minimum requirements and then make these requirements more strict over time, rather than creating a policy which is very strict with no back-out clause, when there has not been enough CAA records to gain any new experience.

Given that we've been debating this for five years, at what point do you feel confident there will be sufficient experience to make these requirements more strict over time?

While the spec may well have been in draft or final form for 5 years we need to move from debate to mandating it’s use.  We can talk about this forever – let’s move forward with a ballot to mandate it’s use and learn what works and what doesn’t.  Until it’s mandatory companies won’t bother updating their CAA records so there is little operational experience with using it.  We should have done this a year ago, but it hasn’t been a priority, but now it is, let’s do it.  If we can agree to soften the parameters in Gerv’s proposal and I think we can come to a solution that mostly works for all of us.