[cabfpub] Draft CAA motion

Bruce Morton Bruce.Morton at entrustdatacard.com
Wed Nov 9 11:48:50 MST 2016

Hi Ryan,

If Google Marketing wanted to open an account, signed the Subscriber agreement, and was verified, then they could request certificates. My assumption is the verification would fail as the Google CAA record does not authorize Entrust. So, I am not trying to use the enterprise argument to create new business. I just want to protect existing enterprise Subscribers. I also want to allow new enterprise Subscribers to be created if they are not blocked by CAA.

I do think that the random person executing a contract with a CA is out of scope of the CAA discussion. This issue can potentially already happen with or without a CAA policy. I do not think this is an issue with OV and EV certificates.

I think the primary CAA goal is to assure that a random unidentified person does not receive a certificate where the CAA record does not authorize the CA for issuing. This could also be extended to stopping an random person from creating an account where the data is pre-verified if the verification fails the CAA check. I also hope the goal is to allow a company to contract a CA to issue tens, hundreds or thousands of certificates per year without suddenly being blocked by a change to a CAA record.

There are minimum requirements for an enterprise to open a certificate management service, such as:

·        Accept the Subscriber agreement

·        All organization names would be pre-validated to OV or EV requirements

·        All Base Domain Names would have to be pre-validated

·        Enterprise RAs would be validated by contacting the enterprise using a Reliable Method of Communication

·        All certificate requests or API implementations would have to be approved by the Enterprise RA

I think that we should be able to come to an agreement to use CAA to block an unauthorized CA from issuing in over 99% of the cases. I’m also hoping we can find a way to allow a verified enterprise Subscriber to have successful certificate requests without suddenly being blocked by CAA.

Thanks, Bruce.