[cabfpub] Draft CAA motion

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Wed Nov 9 06:40:48 MST 2016

Gerv,

I have a few comments:

1)      We’ve gone from at the time of validation (up to 39 months, which I agree is unreasonable) to a few days (I think Ryan suggested this) to 10 minutes.  I recommend we increase this back to a few days (let’s say 3).  This will allow more flexibility in the location of this check in the overall process, reduce the number duplicate checks CAs need to make (one when order is placed, again when validated (maybe) and one when issued) and will help reduce the “last minute” checks that need to be done and which can impact issuance.  I think a few days still allows a sufficiently short cache time that this should address domain owners concerns for rolling out updated CAA records.  What’s driving the 10 minute requirement?

2)      I think there should be a provision that CAA can be done contractually such that those customers that own the domain can provide CAA approval for their Domain Name to the CA so that each of the FQDNs don’t need to be checked at issuance time, for the duration of the contract.  Mozilla allows this type of flexibility when issuing client certificates:

·         “…the CA takes reasonable measures to verify that the entity submitting the request controls the email account associated with the email address referenced in the certificate or has been authorized by the email account holder to act on the account holder’s behalf

3)      I strongly object to this statement – why should blocking issuance for a CAA record be any different than blocking issuance based on key word or high risk checks?  I can’t support this – why does CABF need the results of CAA checks?

·         CAs MUST log issuances that were prevented by an adverse CAA record in sufficient detail to provide feedback to the CAB Forum on the circumstances

4)      Specifying what is logged is a bit over the top also.  The requirement should be to perform CAA and not drive implementation on what is logged.  I searched the BRs for logging requirements and there no existing logging requirements this specific, so I recommend these statements should be dropped:

·         CAs MUST keep records of the responses to all CAA DNS requests

·         CAs MUST log issuances that were prevented by an adverse CAA record

·         Section 2.2 “The CA SHALL log all actions taken, if any, consistent with its processing practice”

5)      I don’t understand this statement:

·         “It shall clearly specify the set of Issuer Domain Names that the CA recognises as permitting it to issue.”

Doug