[cabfpub] Ballot process ordering

Peter Bowen pzb at amzn.com
Wed Nov 2 10:38:49 MST 2016

> On Nov 2, 2016, at 8:45 AM, Kirk Hall via Public <public at cabforum.org> wrote:
>
> Perfectly stated, Gerv - thanks.
>
> On Position 2 (voting before the IPR Review Period), it's unclear to me how the end of the IPR Review Period then leads to "Approval".  The Bylaws and IPR Policy do not say, for example, that the absence of any Exclusion Notices filed during the Review Period somehow constitutes "Approval" of the Draft Guidelines under review.  Likewise, the Bylaws and IPR Policy do not say that the filing of an Exclusion Notices during the Review Period somehow constitutes "Disapproval" of the Draft Guidelines under review.  The formation of a PAG (in the event of the filing of an Exclusion Notice during the Review Period) does not constitute Approval or Disapproval of the Draft Guidelines.  And no one knows what reports or conclusions a PAG might produce and report to Forum members, but it surely won't constitute Approval or Disapproval of the Draft Guidelines under consideration – a PAG does not have that power.
>
> So under Position 2, how do we ever get to Approval - which (under the IPR Policy) can only come AFTER the Review Period is over.  Something is missing from the Position 2 process?
>
> Can someone who supports Position 2 tell us how they think a Draft Guideline ever gets to Approval under our current Bylaws and IPR Policy?

I agree with many of the concerns raised about position 1 in other emails in this thread.

It seems to me that a very simple solution is to have each ballot include language that will be approved on date X unless exclusion notices are received during the review period in which case approval will be indefinitely suspended until such a time the Forum explicitly votes to Approve.

I would think that this should resolve concerns around Approving something that has known exclusion notices and the concerns around lack of participation in straw polls.