[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot 169: Revised Validation Requirements

J.C. Jones jjones at mozilla.com
Wed May 4 19:19:40 UTC 2016

Tim, Ryan, Richard: Thank you again for your help in solidifying this.

Taking Richard's updates then, I propose that the working group proposal be
amended before the vote begins:

Define the term "Required Website Content":

*Required Website Content*: Either a Random Value or a Request Token,
> together with additional information that uniquely identifies the
> Subscriber, as specified by the CA.

Change the first paragraph of section 3.2.2.4.6, "Agreed-Upon Change to
Website", to state:

Confirming the Applicant's control over the requested FQDN by confirming
> the presence of Required Website Content (contained in the content of a
> file or on a web page in the form of a meta tag) under the
> "/.well-known/pki-validation" directory, or another path registered with
> IANA for the purpose of Domain Validation, on the Authorization Domain Name
> that can be validated over an Authorized Port. The entire Required
> Website Content MUST NOT appear in the request used to retrieve the file or
> web page.

The graphical diff of this proposed amendment is here:
https://github.com/cabforum/documents/compare/Ballot-169...jcjones:Ballot-169?expand=1

Cheers,
J.C.