[cabfpub] Code Signing Working Group

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri May 6 09:40:45 UTC 2016

On 28/04/16 15:23, Gervase Markham wrote:
> I have no desire to put a spoke in anyone's wheel, and I understand what
> Dean says about us getting better at conforming with our own bylaws. But
> right now, the CABFCSWG is effectively working on a document for
> Microsoft, rather than working on a document for the CAB Forum. And it's
> not right for that to continue under the CAB Forum auspices.

I notice with disappointment that the Code Signing Working Group remains
on the draft agenda for Bilbao. In my previous email, I laid out what
seems to be a non-disruptive and accommodating way forward:

> As Peter notes, there's nothing to prevent the same group of people
> meeting on the same conference line at the same time to work on the
> "liberated" document, if the line owner permits, and our F2F meetings
> have historically supported side events like CASC meetings, which are
> not on the official schedule, subject to the permission of the host. So
> I hope that this change would not be too disruptive to the group's plans
> to work with Microsoft on the document in practice.

This seems a better solution than the formality of a ballot, and I hope
we can agree quickly on this course.

Looking at the agenda, it doesn't seem complicated to remove Code
Signing, move everything up (perhaps reordering to fit the blocks) and
adjourn an hour early. Then, with Inigo's permission for use of the
room, anyone who wants to discuss the Code Signing document in a side
meeting can stay behind to do so. And I'm sure they can write up and
circulate information on what they discussed in lieu of an update in the
meeting on the following day.

Dean: please can you make the appropriate changes to the agenda?