[cabfpub] FW: BR – Contradiction on gTLDs

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed May 25 04:00:06 MST 2016

Replacing 4.2.2 with "No Stipulation" sooner than 2016-10-01 introduces new
risk.

2016-10-01 is the "revoke all Internal name certificates" (see 7.1.4.2.1).
The current Section 4.2.2 includes an "advance revocation" timeline for
names that ICANN is contracting with. I suspect further massaging is
necessary to retain that paragraph. (While I'm aware that even if we passed
a ballot two weeks from now, it would be after 1 October 2016, I'm
concerned for the set of domains approved by ICANN whose 120 day period
would occur between now and 1 October 2016)

I'm sure this level of pedantry comes as no surprise.

The other is still the desire to decouple underscores from the wildcard
bits. The underscores in the DNS are gross, not permitted today, and cause
enough interoperability trouble that even if some are using them, aren't
something to be encouraged. People who absolutely insist on such
certificates can be met with wildcards, but again, it's something that
should be deprecated, not encouraged.