[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot 164 - Certificate Serial Number Entropy

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Thu May 5 05:41:27 MST 2016

What drove Ben's initial proposal and the long following debate to mandate at least 64 unpredictable bits?   I haven't seen any discussions of the issue we're solving, just technical approaches for adding randomness to the certificate content.

For SHA-1, sure, I understand this provides solid protection against preimage attacks, but is this necessary for SHA-2 algorithms?  It's a good idea, we should all be doing long serial numbers, but what's driving the need to mandate 64+ bit serial numbers and CSPRNG now?

Doug