[cabfpub] Clarifying allowed wildcard in BR

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Tue Mar 8 16:51:57 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.rowley at digicert.com>
wrote:

> I agree it should be clarified, but I think we should add the text to
> section 7.1.4.2.1 and state that a wildcard cert is any certificate
> containing a wildcard character in a Subject Fully-Qualified Domain Name
> contained in a Certificate. Plus, we have something in 7.1.4.2.1 called a
> Wildcard FQDN that was never defined.
>

> If we amend the definition as you suggested, fo*.example.com would no
> longer be considered a wildcard certificate. Rather than prohibit issuance,
> the change would exempt fo*.example.com from the wildcard rules in the
> BRs and make it a normal string (because it doesn’t meet the wildcard
> definition). To make it simple, I suggest:

I disagree with this possible interpretation being permissible, because you
cannot potentially validate that fo*.example.com is valid. For example, it
does not conform to DNS hostname rules.

That said, I agree that there's the potential to be incorrectly
interpreted, and your rewording is even more precise/clear :)