[cabfpub] Ballot 170 - Amend Section 5.1 of Baseline Requirements

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Jun 10 07:19:35 MST 2016

Hi Ben,

On 08/06/16 21:32, Ben Wilson wrote:
> Here are the sources of the language in this ballot.  As you can see,
> this is not new language.  The purpose of  this language is  to ensure
> that CAs protect themselves against reasonably foreseeable physical
> threats (environmental, human, supply system, etc.).

Could I zoom the motivation question out a little bit?

What is the larger goal of the Policy WG in this effort? Is it:

1) Make the BRs a comprehensive list of all the things a CA must do in
order to provide a secure and trustworthy service; or

2) Make it so the BRs stipulate _something_ for every heading from the
framework they are now fitting, and so it never says "no stipulation"; or

3) Something else?

If the answer is 1) or 2), could you explain more about why that is
considered to be a useful and appropriate goal?