[cabfpub] Application for SHA-1 Issuance

Rick Andrews Rick_Andrews at symantec.com
Fri Jul 22 17:45:58 UTC 2016

Gerv,

I appreciate your clarification of Mozilla's stand before you take off.
Based on the feedback we've received before your guidance, we began the
process of generating another set of TBSCertificates based on TSYS' existing
SHA-1 certificates without any random strings in the OU. We started that
process
with the intent to again use a CSPRNG for the serial numbers. We're using
true hardware randomness from an HSM using out-of-band generation of the
random serial numbers by members of the same key ceremony team. The serial
numbers were not generated or suggested by the customer. Given TSYS'
impending deadlines, we chose to avoid introducing more changes to the
process.

Our strong preference is to proceed with this second set of TBSCertificates,
even though they don't exactly fit the guidelines you outlined below. Does
Mozilla feel so strongly about the strict construction of the serial number
that you cannot accept HSM-generated serial numbers?

-Rick