[cabfpub] A better way to do SHA-1 legacy

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Tue Jul 19 07:22:57 MST 2016

On 19/07/16 15:15, Erwann Abalea wrote:
> There’s a disadvantage with this approach, in that now, there’s no random information inserted by the CA to raise the attack cost.
> Back to chosen-prefix collision, from random-prefix collision.

With Phill's scheme, if you tweak some part of the TBSCertificate (e.g.
the public key) in an attempt to find a collision, it affects the
rigidly constructed serial number.

So you'd need to simultaneously collide SHA-1 and (at least 16 bytes of)
SHA-2-512, right?

Is that any less hard than guessing "at least 64 bits of output from a
CSPRNG" ?

--
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist