[cabfpub] Suggestion to amend BR Section7.1.4.2.2d/e RE: EV Gudelines section 9.2.5 & X.520

Dimitris Zacharopoulos jimmy at it.auth.gr
Mon Jul 18 04:30:27 MST 2016

On 15/7/2016 9:25 μμ, Erwann Abalea wrote:
> Bonjour Li-Chun,
>
> That’s a long email. To avoid make it even longer, I propose to split
> it in several parts; that should help keep a manageable size.
>
> I’ll start with the end, because why not?
>
> You want to have special rules for small countries where ST or L is
> not available, and provide a list of such small countries in Note 2.
> That’s in fact a list of ISO3166-1 codes. Not all of them are actual
> country codes (ISO3166-1 lists country and territories) and are
> suitable for use in DV/OV/EV certificates (see the definition of an
> acceptable country code in the BR).
> Among them:
>
>  *
>

>   * GF, GP, MQ, YT, RE are regions and departments of France (C=FR,
>     and you can put their name into the stateOrProvinceName
>     attribute), and they are even composed of cities (we have 6
>     administrative subdivision levels in France, with more than 36000
>     cities, we’re crazy)
>   * BV and SJ belong to Norway (C=NO), you can certainly put their
>     name into the stateOrProvinceName attribute
>   * FK, GI, GS, PN, VG are British Overseas Territories (some are
>     disputed either by Argentina or Spain, but still, C=UK)
>   * CX and NF are Australian territories (C=AU)
>   * FO is a constituent country of Denmark (C=DK), exactly like
>     Scotland wrt UK
>   * GU is a non incorporated territory of the United States of America
>     (C=US), just like Porto Rico
>   * GG, IM, JE are Crown dependancies, can possibly be considered as
>     countries (C=GG/IM/JE), but anyway have administrative subdivisions
>   * LB, ME, MK, SI (not SVN) are countries, and have administrative
>     subdivisions (localities, and a second level for LB)
>   * RS is a country (C=RS), has districts and localities, part of its
>     province is Kosovo, a self-proclaimed country recognized by at
>     least 2 UN members (C=XX is acceptable, as well as C=RS for this
>     province)
>   * PS is in an unsatisfying situation, but anyway is recognized by at
>     least 2 UN members, so C=PS is good, and this country has 2 levels
>     of administrative subdivisions
>   * EH is a self-proclaimed country, disputed by Morocco, but
>     recognized by at least 2 UN members, so C=EH is good, and this
>     country has several localities
>   * SG is of course a country, but also a city, is composed of 64
>     islands, I don’t know if it’s possible to have their name in an
>     attribute
>   * TW is a complicated story (with China), but this country is
>     recognized by at least 2 UN members, so C=TW is fine; this country
>     has administrative subdivisions
>   * VA is weird, not completely a sovereign state (its UN
>     representation is the Holy See — and not Vatican), more like an
>     international organization like UN; there’s no Vatican
>     nationality; C=VA is possibly invalid
>   * AN is not to be used again until december 2061, replaced by
>     CW/SX/BQ, their status is unclear
> [...]

Hello Erwann,

We discussed this issue on the recent policyWG call. One of the concerns
raised, that is also reflected in your detailed analysis, comes down to
"is there an authoritative source for this sort of information"? It is
not easy for each member to provide a personal opinion on all these
countries. Some of these assumptions may be 100% accurate and some may
not. In any case, it is not easy to do research for each one of these
ISO3166-1 countries, each one with its own history and special
circumstances :)

Kenneth Myers sent an interesting repository that includes countries and
subdivisions
(https://cabforum.org/pipermail/policyreview/2016-July/000322.html).
This online registry could be used as a starting point. Other official
repositories may exist with similar information.

Best regards,
Dimitris.