[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot 164 - Certificate Serial Number Entropy

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Sat Feb 27 01:58:14 UTC 2016

Or, put conversely, why should it?

Date/time is one we certainly need to be careful with; Microsoft for many
years forbid its use as a source of entropy. I've seen a CA argue that
they've placed 32 bits of entropy, since they set the seconds field of
notBefore / notAfter. Given that the seconds value can only contain values
1-6 in the first digit, and 0-9 in the second, that's 2.5 bits + 3.33 bits
- or effectively, a total of 11.6 bits - assuming I can math, which is a
generous assumption.

CAs already have an obligation to ensure serials are unique, so if the CA
should have a mistake and *not* be generating entropy, that'd also be far
more noticable than if the RNG got stuck on 00:00:00 for entropy in dates.