[cabfpub] RFC5280

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Wed Feb 24 19:56:20 UTC 2016

On 24/02/16 18:56, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
<snip>
> 1)Org names, common names,  and address fields are limited to 64
> characters. Very few international companies can comply with this
> restriction.

Hi Jeremy.  I'm puzzled as to why "international" would have anything to
do with this.  Can you cite some examples of such international companies?

You do realize that the limit is in characters, not bytes, right?

> It’s even worse if you are converting an IDN to a printable
> string.

If an IDN doesn't fit in a Subject.commonName, then you can omit the
Subject.commonName field from the cert.

Use SAN.dNSName.

--
Rob Stradling