[cabfpub] [Ticket#2016021801002046] F2F Topic details: What should be represented in the "O" field?

Eric Mill eric at konklone.com
Fri Feb 19 20:17:56 UTC 2016

> Using an OV or EV cert helps the consumer know exactly who they are
communicating with, which, in this case, is not the domain registrant.

A consumer communicating with a domain registrant's CloudFront distribution
or CloudFlare endpoint is communicating with the domain registrant. The CDN
is the domain registrant's authorized representative.

As a domain registrant, I can get a DV certificate via any endpoint I set
up using my powers as registrant. This can be a Raspberry Pi running in my
home, a colocated metal server in a data center I own, an EC2 virtual
server in "the cloud", or a CDN terminator I authorized. In all cases, it's
my choice as the domain registrant what tools I use to demonstrate to a CA
that I, the domain registrant, am in charge of the requested certificate's
associated private key.

-- Eric

konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>