[cabfpub] "Forum Scope and participation" topic for F2F meeting

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu Feb 11 09:08:19 UTC 2016

On 10/02/16 19:11, Dean Coclin wrote:
> 1.       Expand “browser” category or add a new category for product
> vendors that operate a root store, specifically used to validate
> publicly trusted certificates.

I think it would be difficult to disentangle that question from the
question of forum purpose. Certainly, there is a subset of forum members
who strongly prefer that the Forum stick to thinking about certificates
used for TLS - at least, until or unless it reorganises its IPR policy
to be more fine-grained. So if this change would open the door to
including companies who only operated root stores for code signing, or
email, that might run into that strand of opposition.

Also, adding additional categories would inevitably lead to a discussion
of how that was represented in the voting, which takes you back to the
forum organization question, and whether we need separate groups to work
on separate certificate uses.

> 2.       Broader participation in forum topics from 3^rd parties,
> specifically constituencies that use certificates. How can we enable this?

I look forward to discussing this :-) One question might be: how would
such constituencies best be represented? Are there organizations which
can represent them? If not, how does an individual representative
acquire a mandate?