[cabfpub] F2F Topic details: What should be represented in the "O" field?

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Fri Feb 5 16:21:50 UTC 2016

Dean,

I don't think you're asking the right question: "Who can request a cert for
dean.example.com".  It's not who can request it, but more the relationship
between the Org field and the Domain in the CN or SAN, right?  In reality
you never know who is requesting the certificate, only what they put into
their request.

Today it's just domain validation that's needed to verify domains for OV
certs, no ownership:

- Verify Org is a company using an authorized repository

- Verify Applicant is authorized to represent the company

- They can demonstrate domain control over the domain

There is no requirement to verify that the organization "owns" the domain
today, are you asking that we change the vetting rules for how domains are
added to OV certificates?

Even EV requirements let the company add domains to an EV cert by
demonstrating Domain Control using the same procedures as OV and DV (except
for item 7 is prohibited plus the signer approval step).  Are you
recommending we not allow companies to add domains to their certs with
domain control and that they must "own" the domain?

Doug