[cabfpub] RFC5280

Geoff Keating geoffk at apple.com
Wed Feb 24 15:24:54 MST 2016

> On 24 Feb 2016, at 1:19 PM, Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.rowley at digicert.com> wrote:
>
> Exactly - there are a lot of these. Should we throw it in the OU and split
> it up over multiple lines and put the O field in as " Ecole Nationale
> Supérieure"?  There isn't a lot of guidance in the BRs with respect to these
> long names.

I would suggest using the EV guideline:

If the combination of names or the organization name by itself exceeds 64 characters, the CA MAY abbreviate parts of the organization name, and/or omit non-material words in the organization name in such a way that the text in this field does not exceed the 64-character limit; provided that the CA checks this field in accordance with section 11.12.1 and a Relying Party will not be misled into thinking that they are dealing with a different organization. In cases where this is not possible, the CA MUST NOT issue the EV Certificate.

Maybe we should move this into the BRs?  Or some simplified version of it that doesn’t drag in 11.12.1?