[cabfpub] Subject field of Subordinate CAs

Peter Bowen pzb at amzn.com
Wed Feb 10 07:03:45 MST 2016

There is already a clear process (3.2.2.2) for validating DBA / Trade name.  My suggestion is to simply require the same thing in the organizationName field of CA certificates that we already require in the organizationName field of other certificates.

Are there any known examples of CA certificates using a trademark which is not also a company name in the organizationName field?

Thanks,
Peter

> On Feb 9, 2016, at 3:13 PM, Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.rowley at digicert.com> wrote:
>
> I'm not in favor of this.  Registered trademarks are easily identifiable as associated with a particular entity, especially with the address information included. If you wanted to improve the process, require that the serial number of the registration be included in the cert rather than banning use of the mark. Fictitious, operating, and trading names are not necessarily registered in all jurisdictions.

>>> (http://business.ca.gov/StartaBusiness/RegisteringaBusiness/Fictitiou
>>> s