[cabfpub] F2F Topic details: What should be represented in the "O" field?

Peter Bowen pzb at amzn.com
Thu Feb 4 15:53:19 MST 2016

Dean,

Thanks for this background.  I would like to confirm a couple of things are correct as a precursor to the discussion.

1) BR Section 7.1.4.2.2 requires that the organizationName and other Subject attributes contain information verified as per 3.2.2.1

2) BR Section 3.2.2.1 says "If	the	Subject	Identity	Information	is	to	include	the	name	or	address	of	an	organization,	the	CA	SHALL	verify	the	identity	and	address	of	the	organization	and	that	the	address	is	the	Applicant’s	address	of	existence	or	operation.	The	CA	SHALL	verify	the	identity	and	address	of	the	Applicant[…]”

3) BR Section 1.6.1 has three definitions that are relevant:

"Applicant:	The	natural	person	or	Legal	Entity	that	applies	for	(or	seeks	renewal	of)	a	Certificate.	Once	the	Certificate	issues,	the	Applicant	is	referred	to	as	the	Subscriber.”

"Subject Identity Information:	Information	that	identifies	the	Certificate	Subject.	Subject	Identity	Information	does	not	include	a	domain	name	listed	in	the	subjectAltName	extension	or	the	Subject	commonName	field."

"Subscriber:	A	natural	person	or	Legal	Entity	to	whom	a	Certificate	is	issued	and	who	is	legally	bound	by	a Subscriber	or	Terms	of	Use	Agreement.”

4) BR Section 9.6.3 lays out obligations of the Subscriber

So, based on this, I think it is accurate that the Subject Identify Information, including the organizationName attribute, MUST identify the natural person or Legal Entity that is the Applicant and is required to meet the obligations of the Subscriber Agreement or Terms of Use.

Does this flow?  Is there a situation where the person or entity named in the certificate subject is not the Applicant and/or not the Subscriber?

Thanks,
Peter