[cabfpub] Ballot 161 - Notification of incorrect issuance

Rick Andrews Rick_Andrews at symantec.com
Wed Feb 3 18:07:42 MST 2016

Symantec strongly supports the objective of driving enhanced transparency and creating a model that can be rolled out across all CAs. However, we cannot support this ballot for a couple of reasons – as we and other CAs have brought up through the comment period, the proposal is not the most effective way to achieve the transparency objective, and it introduces real privacy and security risks.

The most effective way to achieve transparency in certificate issuance would be to have all CAs fully implement support for Certificate Transparency logging. Requiring all certificates to be posted in CT logs will allow customers, auditors, browsers, and any other interested parties to search for, evaluate, and determine whether any certificates were not authorized or are otherwise problematic. We recommend that the Baseline Requirements be amended to require full CT adoption by all CAs, and that all TLS certificates be posted in CT logs.

Full CT implementation achieves the goal of transparency without creating the issues that this ballot does. As we have previously commented, the ballot does not appropriately take into account privacy issues related to names in certificates. Today, it is common practice for customers to use certificates from roots trusted by browsers for private and/or non-browser use cases. Some customers do not want information related to these private certificates to be publicly disclosed and they may not be aware that this ballot could lead to such disclosure. Further, the ballot does not include a process or timeframe to allow these customers to replace their existing private certificates where needed. Adoption of CT can address these concerns. In particular, the revised CT spec (6962-bis), when finalized, would allow for name redaction capability to directly address this privacy concern. Symantec does not believe the ballot adequately accounts for these privacy considerations.

We think the ballot also fails to consider important security concerns related to rapid publication of the underlying causes of mis-issued certificates. The ballot could be interpreted to require a CA to publicize a mis-issued certificate and its root cause potentially before it has time to remediate a technical issue that led to the mis-issuance, perhaps allowing others to exploit a technical flaw. To draw a comparison to browsers, security researchers are able to disclose browser-related flaws privately to browsers so that the affected browser can have adequate time to remedy the issue before it is made public. That “responsible disclosure” process protects all involved. This ballot fails to address such fundamental practices, and could introduce harm where its intention is the exact opposite.

In summary, Symantec can’t support this ballot. Symantec instead recommends adoption of a new ballot that would require all publicly trusted CAs to log all their issued certificates in accordance with the Google EV/CT Plan. This requirement should provide CAs a reasonable amount of time to complete implementation, and to address privacy concerns, Symantec further recommends that all certificates be logged in 6962-bis-compliant CT log servers.