[cabfpub] rfc822Names and otherNames

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Wed Dec 14 16:48:37 UTC 2016

Jeremy,

I'm not sure it was clear. otherName is a wide-open type, as defined in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5280#section-4.2.1.6

More accurately, it's
   OtherName ::= SEQUENCE {
        type-id    OBJECT IDENTIFIER,
        value      [0] EXPLICIT ANY DEFINED BY type-id }

I'm trying to suggest/request that otherNames only be permitted for defined
type-ids, or some other appropriate rule/guidance to mitigate any
collisions (e.g. only issued by an enterprise OID arc operated by the CA),
to avoid name confusion.

For example, you wouldn't want CAs using Kerberos 5 identities in
otherName, especially if that could cause issues/security problems with
PKINIT-based systems.