[cabfpub] "Domain Name Registrar"

Peter Bowen pzb at amzn.com
Mon Aug 1 16:52:21 UTC 2016

> On Aug 1, 2016, at 2:25 AM, Gervase Markham <gerv at mozilla.org> wrote:
>
> On 30/07/16 01:25, Peter Bowen wrote:
>> Where it gets more confusing is when you look at a domain ending in
>> labels such as co.dk or com.se.  It is possible to get a namespace
>> allocation under these labels assigned to you.  However the TLD
>> considers them to be registered domain names.
>
> This is why the Public Suffix List has two sections :-)
>
> My understanding from the wording is that for the purposes of the BRs, a
> Domain Name Registrar is someone who is part of the official system, not
> someone who has registered a short domain name like "com.se" or "co.za",
> even if they act like a proper registrar and even if it happens to be
> the same people running the show.

I’m familiar with the two sections.  However I’m not clear on the rules for what goes where.

For example:
According to IANA, .za is assigned to the ZA Domain Name Authority (http://www.zadna.org.za/).

The ZADNA site has a table of “SLDs” which each list a registry operator: http://www.zadna.org.za/content/page/domain-information
ZADNA also notes that there are a few private SLDs which are directly under .za.

What is the rule that makes school.za a “public” public suffix while com.se is a “private” public suffix?  Expressed desire/intent of the parent zone operator?

Thanks,
Peter