[cabfpub] Domain Validation

Jeremy Rowley jeremy.rowley at digicert.com
Tue Aug 23 15:36:16 MST 2016

We noticed a method missing from the recent domain name validation ballot
that we would like added as a potential process for validating domains.
Basically, we add a random value to the CNAME record to validate a domain.
So we'd add [RANDOM].digicert.com to verify control over digicert.com. We
add another layer on this check that verifies control over the address that
RANDOM.digicert.com points to - ie, we'd validate dcv.digicert.com if
[RANDOM].digicert.com pointed there.

I just noticed the ballot only permits use of random values for
authentication in TXT and CAA records. I'd like to amend the DNS record
validation section to permit CNAME validation as well.  The proposed change
is:

3.2.2.4.7 DNS Change

Confirming the Applicant's control over the requested FQDN by confirming the
presence of a Random Value or Request Token in a DNS TXT, CNAME, or CAA
record for an Authorization Domain Name or an Authorization Domain Name that
is prefixed with a label that begins with an underscore character.

If a Random Value is used, the CA or Delegated Third Party SHALL provide a
Random Value unique to the certificate request and SHALL not use the Random
Value after (i) 30 days or (ii) if the Applicant submitted the certificate
request, the timeframe permitted for reuse of validated information relevant
to the certificate (such as in Section 3.3.1 of these Guidelines or Section
11.14.3 of the EV Guidelines).

Thoughts? Endorsers?

Jeremy