[cabfpub] "Domain Name Registrar"

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Aug 1 02:25:04 MST 2016

On 30/07/16 01:25, Peter Bowen wrote:
> Where it gets more confusing is when you look at a domain ending in
> labels such as co.dk or com.se.  It is possible to get a namespace
> allocation under these labels assigned to you.  However the TLD
> considers them to be registered domain names.

This is why the Public Suffix List has two sections :-)

My understanding from the wording is that for the purposes of the BRs, a
Domain Name Registrar is someone who is part of the official system, not
someone who has registered a short domain name like "com.se" or "co.za",
even if they act like a proper registrar and even if it happens to be
the same people running the show.