[cabfpub] BRs section 9.16.3 (exception for laws)

Eric Mill eric at konklone.com
Thu Apr 28 12:14:51 UTC 2016

To link the threads, I brought this issue up on the Policy WG list in
December with a much tinier (and less robust) proposed fix:
https://cabforum.org/pipermail/policyreview/2015-December/000188.html

And Dean kindly added some context:
https://cabforum.org/pipermail/policyreview/2016-January/000190.html

I definitely read 9.16.3 not so much as addressing targeted government
interference (which, as Jeremy notes, there's nothing CAB can do about if
the government is serious about keeping such interference secret), but
addressing requirements of local law which thoughtlessly (or deliberately)
conflict with CAB requirements.

Jeremy's and Ryan's points are both solid. Combining them leads to this
proposed change:

*9.16.3. Severability*

If a court or government body with jurisdiction over the activities covered
by these Requirements determines that the performance of any mandatory
requirement is illegal, then such requirement is considered reformed to the
minimum extent necessary to make the requirement valid and legal. This
applies only to operations or certificate issuances that are subject to the
laws of that jurisdiction. The parties involved SHALL notify the CA /
Browser Forum *by sending a detailed message to questions at cabforum.org
<questions at cabforum.org> *of the facts, circumstances, and law(s)
involved, *and
receiving confirmation that it has been posted to the Public Mailing List
and is indexed in the Public Mail Archives available at
https://cabforum.org/pipermail/public/
<https://cabforum.org/pipermail/public/>,* so that the CA/Browser
Forum may *consider
possible revisions to these* Requirements accordingly.
*A CA that issues a certificate under a requirement reformed through an
action of a court or government body with jurisdiction SHALL list the
reformed requirement in Section 9.16.3 of the CA’s CPS prior to issuing a
certificate and include (in Section 9.16.3 of the CA’s CPS) a reference to
the law or government order requiring a reformation under this section.*

(Adding some text here so those using Gmail don't get an email truncated at
the wrong place.)

konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>