[cabfpub] Proposed new ballot on IP Addresses in SANs

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Thu Apr 21 20:09:55 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Doug Beattie <doug.beattie at globalsign.com>
wrote:

> Ryan – This sounds like a possible solution.  Would you support a ballot
> that allows the issuance of BR compliant certificates containing IP
> addresses in the dNSName if and only if the same value is also in an
> iPAddress SAN field?  This comment was within the contest of Name
> Constraints, so I could be misinterpreting your suggestion.

No, we will not support any such ballot without Forum members who feel
there is a need for it, and who can provide demonstration, evidence, and
discussion as to why the conforming solution proposed 8 months ago is not
viable.

Without that, it seems purely an attempt to circumvent standards, whether
for financial benefit, competitive advantage, or intellectual laziness.
These are all strong words, I'm fully aware, but the situation surrounding
this - the intentional and ongoing violations, the lack of compliance
monitoring, and the lack of response over many months to a proposal that
would have avoided this mess, is deeply disturbing, and thus my ability to
ascribe good faith to the proponents is, unfortunately, severely exhausted.