[cabfpub] Pre-Ballot 164 - Certificate Serial Number Entropy

Ben Wilson ben.wilson at digicert.com
Thu Apr 14 19:59:30 UTC 2016

Man,

Have you had a chance to do  further research on the capabilities of your
system?   Our CA issues certificates with 32 hexadecimal characters for the
serial number.  There are 4 bits of entropy for each hexadecimal character.
Therefore, our serial numbers have 128 bits of entropy and 16*32= 512
unpredictable bits.  An 8-hexadecimal character serial number would have 32
bits of entropy and 128 unpredictable bits.  A 20-bit entropy would be equal
to 5 hexadecimal characters, or 80 unpredictable bits, so this seems like
this is a downgrade to go to 64 unpredictable bits.  Am I right?

Ben