[cabfpub] Proposed new ballot on IP Addresses in SANs

Rich Smith richard.smith at comodo.com
Thu Apr 21 11:44:19 MST 2016

In the SAN section of the BRs it simply says, "Wildcard FQDNs are
permitted."  To know WHAT is permitted you MUST look to the definition,
and the definition clearly states "...left most position..."  Clearly
these certificates are non-compliant.  And I don't buy for second that
that's not understood by anyone who has participated in Forum
discussions for any length of time.

And have we devolved to the point that we're now creating and editing
requirements only to then go forth and have a competition to see which
CA can out-do the others in finding loopholes in them?  Is that what
this Forum has become?  If so, then what are we doing here?  Let's
shutter the place and walk away.

The IP address certs that started this discussion aren't even a
loophole.  They are specifically and clearly non-compliant.  Now I'm not
a lawyer, but I do view the action of issuing them as anti-competitive.
I've had specific cases wherein I couldn't issue EV certificates to
labor unions in the U.S. for YEARS because the wording in the EV
Guidelines at the time did not allow for them.  I came here, I advised
the Forum of my plight, and asked for a solution.  No one disagreed that
they clearly legally existed as an organization, but the solution was
caught up in haggling over minutiae for YEARS before a suitable change
to the Guidelines was officially adopted.  I didn't just go ahead and
issue the certificates anyway, I waited for the Forum to arrive at a
consensus and fix the problem.  And as a participant in good faith here,
that's what I expect of other participants.

-Rich