[cabfpub] Ballot 150 - OIDs

Rob Stradling rob.stradling at comodo.com
Thu Sep 3 21:19:05 UTC 2015

Hi Jeremy.  Was my comment (see below) discussed at all?

On 21/08/15 11:35, Rob Stradling wrote:
> Hi Jeremy.  The review period coincides with holiday for me, so I'll
> have to comment early...
>
> BRs section 7.1.4.2.2 (which this ballot doesn't touch) says that
> Subject.localityName is _optional_ whenever Subject.organizationName and
> Subject.stateOrProvinceName are both included.
>
> However, this ballot proposes...
>    "If the Certificate asserts the policy identifier of 2.23.140.1.2.2,
>     then it MUST also include organizationName, localityName,
>     stateOrProvinceName (if applicable), and countryName in the Subject
>     field. If the Certificate asserts the policy identifier of
>     2.23.140.1.2.3, then it MUST also include (i) either
>     organizationName or givenName and surname, (ii) localityName, (iii)
>     stateOrProvinceName (if applicable), and (iv) countryName in the
>     Subject field."
> ...which IINM overrides the optionality of Subject.localityName.
>
> What's the best way to resolve this inconsistency?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On 20/08/15 16:25, Jeremy Rowley wrote:
>> Here’s an updated draft of the OID ballot:
>>
>> **
>>
>> *Ballot 150-Addition of Optional OID for Individual Validation*
>>
>>   The following motion has been proposed by Dean Coclin of Symantec and
>> endorsed by Jeremy Rowley of Digicert and Kirk Hall of Trend Micro.
>>
>> -- MOTION BEGINS –
>>
>> 1)Modify section 1.2 of Baseline Requirements as follows:
>>
>> *1.2 Document Name and Identification*
>>
>> This certificate policy (CP) contains the requirements for the issuance
>> and management of publicly‐trusted SSL certificates, as adopted by the
>> CA/Browser Forum.
>>
>> The following Certificate Policy identifiers are reserved for use by CAs
>> as an optional means of asserting compliance with this CP (OID arc
>> 2.23.140.1.2) as follows:
>>
>> {joint‐iso‐itu‐t(2) international‐organizations(23)
>> ca‐browser‐forum(140) certificate‐policies(1) baseline‐ requirements(2)
>> domain‐validated(1)} (2.23.140.1.2.1);
>>
>> {joint‐iso‐itu‐t(2) international‐organizations(23)
>> ca‐browser‐forum(140) certificate‐policies(1) baseline‐ requirements(2)
>> organization-validated(2)} (2.23.140.1.2.2) and
>>
>> _{joint‐iso‐itu‐t(2) international‐organizations(23)
>> ca‐browser‐forum(140) certificate‐policies(1) baseline‐ requirements(2)
>> individual-validated(3)} (2.23.140.1.2.3)._
>>
>> 2)Modify section 7.1.6.1 of the Baseline Requirements as follows:
>>
>> **
>>
>> *7.1.6.1. Reserved Certificate Policy Identifiers *
>>
>> This section describes the content requirements for the Root CA,
>> Subordinate CA, and Subscriber Certificates, as they relate to the
>> identification of Certificate Policy.
>>
>> The following Certificate Policy identifiers are reserved for use by CAs
>> as an optional means of asserting compliance with these Requirements as
>> follows:
>>
>> {joint‐iso‐itu‐t(2) international‐organizations(23)
>> ca‐browser‐forum(140) certificate‐policies(1) baseline‐requirements(2)
> [...]

Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist
COMODO - Creating Trust Online
Office Tel: +44.(0)1274.730505
Office Fax: +44.(0)1274.730909
www.comodo.com

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
  3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
  Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is
requested to use their own virus checking software.