[cabfpub] Merging BRs and EVGLs

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Wed Sep 30 02:19:18 MST 2015

Hi everyone,

The ever-helpful Peter Bowen has informed me he has already written the
document-merging script I postulated. It's here:

https://github.com/pzb/PublicCP/blob/master/utils/merge.rb

It requires a version of the BRs and a version of the EVGLs which are
both in Markdown format and in RFC 3647 order. The EVGLs have not yet
been converted to RFC 3647, and so Peter has done his own conversion here:

https://github.com/pzb/PublicCP/blob/master/docs/ExtendedValidation.md

I attach a sample PDF of a merged BRs and EVGLs document made using this
method. This is only a technology demo, of course, but it shows what
sort of thing can be done. For an example section containing both BR and
EV content, see section 1.3.2.

So I think if people are keen for it to be possible for people to see a
combined view of these two documents, the best thing to do is to work on
an official RFC 3647 conversion of the EVGLs, and for us to make
Markdown the official source format of all of our documents. I am
thoroughly in favour of both of those changes. This course of action
would allow those who wanted separate documents to have them, and those
who wanted merged documents to have them too. Everyone wins.

It would also be possible for CAs to put all of their other internal
documentation into RFC3647 format and Markdown, and use that to
construct their own internal documents which give the totality of their
requirements. That might be a useful capability too.

Gerv

The commands I used to generate the document were:

$ utils/merge.rb docs/Outline.md docs/BaselineRequirements.md
docs/ExtendedValidation.md defs.md > BREV-merged.md

$ utils/kram.rb BREV-merged.md > BREV-merged.html

$ weasyprint BREV-merged.html BREV-merged.pdf

You will need to have various libraries and apps like kramdown and
weasyprint installed, but those should be available in the package
manager of your Linux distribution. You are using Linux, right? ;-)