[cabfpub] Ballot 152 - Issuance of SHA-1 certificates through 2016)

Dean Coclin Dean_Coclin at symantec.com
Mon Oct 19 19:48:28 UTC 2015

Despite this latest news and the withdrawal of the current ballot, I have
heard increasing calls from very large enterprises (Fortune 50) and
Governments that state the issue previously described, that is, the problem
in replacing high numbers of SHA1 certs before Dec 31 2015, doesn't go away.

Two issues which they feel have not adequately been described in threat
models:

1. The prohibition of issuing SHA1 certs after Dec 31, 2015 that still
expire by the existing deadline (Dec 31, 2016).

2. The prohibition of issuing non-browser based SHA-1 certs beyond Dec 31,
2015.  This appears to be a huge issue, the scope of which is still being
quantified. (Some may say that they shouldn't have been issuing from public
roots but this started way before the CA/B Forum)

It would be helpful if someone from the Forum can address the threat models
behind these 2 rules.

Thanks