[cabfpub] Microsoft Proposed Updates to the SHA-1 Deprecation Timeline

Doug Beattie doug.beattie at globalsign.com
Wed Oct 28 14:03:58 MST 2015

Hi Jody,

I agree with Eddy.  We "just" finalized and pushed out the SHA-1 requirements and set expectations accordingly and this would disrupt the current SHA-1 ecosystem with a 7-month change in the deprecation date (January back to June), also, June 1 is only 7 months away.  Some customers are already struggling with complying with the current requirements. With the certificate serial number entropy and the fact we're not issuing any SSL certificates after 12/31/2015 we should be sufficiently protected against the recent improvements in breaking some aspects of SHA-1.  It's another story if SHA-1 is suddenly broken and the date needs to be changed, but that hasn't happened <yet>.

We would endorse a coordinated push by all industry players to strongly encourage all users to migrate by 1 June.  As a CA we've been doing this for well over a year with very good success, but we're not at 100% conversion of the user base to SHA-2.  While I don't necessarily endorse this, browser vendors can always modify their UI treatment of SHA-1 certificates or hierarchies to further encourage web site owners to move to SHA-2 before the deprecation date.

Doug