[cabfpub] The Shappening: freestart collisions for SHA-1 (was Re: Ballot 152 - Issuance of SHA-1 certificates through 2016)

Erwann Abalea erwann.abalea at opentrust.com
Thu Oct 8 03:30:33 MST 2015

Was just reading it. The complete (80 rounds) SHA1 compression function is broken.

Some could argue that we still have a small security margin because of the choice of IV, or the difference in work factor between collision and choosen-prefix collision, etc.

It took too many years to get rid of MD5 (at least 7 years after collision were publicly demonstrated). Let’s do things better with SHA1.

Cordialement,
Erwann Abalea