[cabfpub] Misissuance of certificates

Ryan Sleevi sleevi at google.com
Mon Nov 9 20:55:21 MST 2015

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 9:09 AM, Eddy Nigg <eddy_nigg at startcom.org> wrote:

> Is that even possible? I don't think so, otherwise what's the use for CT
> in first place...

Yes, and it's been discussed for years ;)

The scope of redaction is limited to the registarable portion (or at least,
would be required so via policy). the 6962-bis work ( most recent draft of
writing at
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-trans-rfc6962-bis-10#section-4.2 )
describes the _protocol_ for how it works, while separately, log policy and
root program requirements would describe the obligations of CAs to use that
protocol (e.g. redactions can't extend beyond the Registered Domain Name,
or whatever terminology we come up with for the "part you get from a domain
name registrar" as part of the policy working group activities)