[cabfpub] Ballots 154 and 155 - Convert to RFC 3647 Framework and GitHub

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Tue Nov 3 17:07:40 MST 2015

Ben - would you consider adding the following sentence to each ballot?

"A version of each ballot and each document as amended by time to time by the Forum will also be published as .pdf and .doc documents for ease of use by Forum members and by the public."

I think you have said that is the plan, but it would help build support for these ballots if we know that will happen.

Also, do we need to set up expectations about who will be using GitHub?  We only had a brief demonstration by Ryan at the Zurich face to face meeting, and it looked confusing to me (compared to the traditional way of showing changes to existing language, bold/underlined for new language, lined out for deleted language, etc.).  Also, if I understood correctly, GitHub uses colors (red/green) to show changes - I know we have some color blind members, so that may be problematic.

Is it your expectation that all Forum members will get training on GitHub is they want to pull copies of documents, or propose ballots?  If so, we should discuss that before proceeding on the ballots - I don't think that's practical.  Plus, will the public have access to GitHub if they want to see the documents, or copy them?  If yes, how do we control access (it won't be like a wiki, will it?).  If not, how does the public get copies of the latest ballots or the most current version of a guideline?  How do we train the public on how to use GitHub in relationship to these documents?

It might be wiser to hold back on these ballots and do some demonstrations for Forum Members first, and even try running these documents on GitHub for a few months before locking this into a ballot - make it separate from the conversion to RFC 3647 format (plus, I thought there was some opposition to changing the EVGL to RFC 3647 format, as virtually everything will be in Sec. 3.2 in that format?)