[cabfpub] Domain validation

Tim Hollebeek THollebeek at trustwave.com
Thu May 7 20:09:15 UTC 2015

In the #10 use case Gerv was discussing, the certificates are self-signed, so the TLS-ness doesn’t provide much value, so it doesn’t matter where the TLS terminates.  If we’re going to allow that, I think we should make it explicit what we’re allowing (self-signed or untrusted certificates), and also enforce the .well_known requirement for the same reasons why we did it for #6.

However, on the validation working group call, another use case was discussed, where validation *does* matter, however the validation is against a non-publicly trusted root (basically, the web site installs a test cert to prove they control the certs for the domain).  It’s an interesting use case that I think should be allowed, though I think it should be a separate enumerated method because the security model is different.

I think #10 needs to be tightened up and clarified significantly.  I’m sure this will be discussed extensively on the validation WG call in two weeks.

-Tim