[cabfpub] Domain validation

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Thu May 7 14:00:43 UTC 2015

On 07/05/15 14:30, Anoosh Saboori wrote:
> In this case, customer owns example.com and not example.clouapp.net. As
> I mentioned earlier, Azure owns the name and is not delegated to the
> tenant. I was hoping to join the call today, but it conflicts with
> another meeting that showed up last minute. I will continue using email.

I think the miscommunication here is around the use of the word "owns".
In what sense are you using that word?

I would say that if Customer has the ability to put website content up
at arbitrary URLs on example.cloudapp.net, then they own that domain,
for the purposes of being the legitimate owners of an SSL certificate
for it. That doesn't mean they own cloudapp.net, or
example2.cloudapp.net, of course.