[cabfpub] Definition of Random Value on draft ballot re new domain validation methods

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Tue May 5 16:44:08 UTC 2015

Here's a more fundamental question -- why do we need to introduce the concept of a "Random Value" for use in practical demonstrations?  It's not a requirement today.  Here's what current 11.1.1 (6) requires today:

6. Having the Applicant demonstrate practical control over the FQDN by making an agreed-upon change to information found on an online Web page identified by a uniform resource identifier containing the FQDN;

No random value, and the CA is control of the content to be posted to the Applicant’s website.  Why does it have to be a (defined) Random Value now?  Seems like overkill.  Just go back to a “value or content selected by the CA”, which could be a Random Value, a Random Token, or something else.