[cabfpub] Non-whitelisted email addresses used for DV issuing

Tim Hollebeek THollebeek at trustwave.com
Mon Mar 30 15:28:21 UTC 2015

CERT may certainly opine on the whether email validation is a good idea.  That’s their right.  Even better would have been working with the appropriate standards bodies to get their concerns addressed.

However, CERT defines a “vulnerability” as “defects that allow an attacker to violate an explicit (or implicit) security policy to achieve some impact (or consequence)” [https://www.us-cert.gov/report].
By definition, a CA that is operating in accordance with relevant standards and its publicly stated Certificate Policy Statement has no “defect” that allows an attacker to violate their policy.  They’re doing exactly what they said they should do.

When CERT issues vulnerability reports that don’t even meet CERT’s own definition of what a vulnerability is, that’s not helpful.

-Tim