[cabfpub] FW: Bylaw update proposal

kirk_hall at trendmicro.com kirk_hall at trendmicro.com
Thu Mar 26 17:30:02 UTC 2015

Peter – on the issue of membership, I still believe that anyone on your list could potentially apply for membership as a CA.  However, one requirement is that the applicant “operates a certification authority”, which to me implies providing certificates to others (not just to the applicant’s own websites).  So I would argue that an enterprise with an unconstrained sub-CA in its name that is used only for MPKI/EPKI is not operating a certification authority and could not be a Member.  After all, we cover standards for vetting, fraud prevention, etc. that are not relevant to MPKI/EPKI.

If anyone thinks there is confusion on this point, maybe we need to add a membership limitation in the Bylaws that a CA and SubCA member must be a company that “operates a certification authority to issue SSL digital certificates to others”, or similar language.  Maybe I will add that to the Bylaws ballow.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Kirk